Social Media Optimization
How to make your website social media friendlyOver the past few weeks there has been a fascinating meme developing around the concept of social media optimization. This is one of the ideas we will be talking about at the first meeting of the Social Media Club in Los Angeles on September 28th.
Here is the list so far
- Increase your linkability
- Make tagging and bookmarking easy
- Reward inbound links
- Help your content travel
- Encourage the mashup
- Be a user resource – even if it dosn’t help you
- Reward helpful and valuable users
- Know how to target your audience
- Create content
- Be real
- Don’t forget your roots – be humble
- Don’t be afraid to try new things -stay fresh
- Develop an SMO strategy
- Choose your SMO tactics wisely
- Make SMO part of your process and best practices.
Rohit Bhargava of Ogilvys started all this with the first few points. And he commented to Constantin Basturea, who made the New PR wiki available further dicussion of SMO, that he felt it did not belong in a PR environment.
Not so, Rohit. SMO is the very essence of the new online PR. Content syndication has long been a staple of PR and Social Media is at the heart PR 2.0
In our upcoming book titled "The Power of Voice – Social Media and Content Syndication in PR 2.0" Rok Hrastnik and I cover the shifts in media consumption, content syndication and the development of social media in depth.
Here are some of our points that might fit into the list
- Enable your content with RSS feeds
- Listen to your audience before you join the conversation
- Use what you learn to craft your SMO strategy
- Deliver content that will add to the conversation
- Monitor what effects your participation is having.
- Engage and encourage participation – build relationships
I did an interview with Jen McClure of the Society for New Communication Research yesterday and she made a very salient point: For too long PR has been all about Media Relations, not public relations. Social Media is getting PR back to relations with the public.
SMO is very pertinent to PR. And RSS feeds make it happen
- New rules for Social Media Optimization
There is an exceptionally interesting meme developing around the idea of social media optimization.
- Rules of Social Media Optimization
For those involved with the web, we know this is quickly becoming a very important area (as social sites are dominating the web landscape).
- Introduction to Social Media Optimization
SMO tactics can drive huge amounts of people to a website and can also determine whether a startup, website or idea will make it or not